Thursday 22 April 2010

Hyding in the park

So we come, inevitably, to the Hyde Park section of this blog. Inevitably, because it is one of my very favourite parts of London, in just about any weather.

This particular day (when I took the photos) was a little overcast, covering everything in a silvery sort of light. Spring had officially, if not visibly, begun, and the daffodils were making themselves known. I made sure of this by getting really, really close.


I made my way almost by autopilot to the Longwater, which is the start of the Serpentine river that bisects the park and is very pretty. A favourite of waterbirds in general, today there was a rather haughty-looking swan who was, despite his (or her) obvious disdain for humans was nevertheless looking for food, allowing me to get quite close.

Predictably, he swam away as soon as he realised I didn't have any for him.


Back to the water itself, the longwater is headed with a number of fountains, the most interesting of which is this one, with the little bowl-bearer peering out from under the water drops and drinking pigeons to keep an eye on things.
Or perhaps just having a look at these huggy bears.

This photo I like because my camera has, of its own accord, captured the drops as they pour from this vessel.


I have not, I'm sorry to say, taken a photo of Peter Pan, yet. He was a bit swarming with children last time, but I'll get him...

My absolute favourite part of the park, however, the part that brings me back again and again, gazing wistfully and wishing that somehow I could contrive to live there, is the caretaker's cottage at the Lancaster Gate entrance to the park. Nestled perfectly on a small rise, it honestly seems to be the perfect building for its surroundings. I imagine the squirrels like it just as much as I do, which I maintain is a good thing (I have been here for a month now and have failed to see more than one squirrel. What's going on? Whither squrls?). Anyway, here it is.

Running out of photos, now, although I still have a few up my sleeve. I may have to buy a new charger...

Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment