Saturday 5 June 2010

The Lake District, or Oh So Many Photos (Part 1)

First of all - I'm alive.

When I got back to Euston Station in London I picked up a paper and was immediately met with a horrible story about a man who had killed several people after going on a gun rampage in the Lakes District - the place I had just been. Of course, the Lakes District is pretty big, and I was actually never in the region of the shootings, and at the time was further into Northumberland anyway. Very disturbing to hear of something like that happening anywhere, but for some reason it's particularly horrible to think that it happened in such a quiet, idyllic part of the world.

Anyway. Let's move on.

So I got myself together enough to actually go somewhere, and since I had such fond memories of the Lakes District, and since I was eager to spend some more time near Hadrian's Wall, and since it all seemed like a good place to go horse riding, I travelled north. I decided I wanted to try my hand with driving, and so I rented, for a very small sum, a car. Thought it would be a bit of a bomb, but upon arriving in Kendal, this is what I got:
Now since I know nothing much about cars, I will classify this one as "Fancy". Look at all the shiny new buttos and lights! Of course, there were bound to be changes, the biggest one being that the indicator switch was on the side where the windscreen wipers usually are, and vice versa. Consequently, I was to spend a lot of time switching my wipers on unneccessarily. I'm sure the locals loved me.

Anyway, onwards! After finding my way out of Kendal I followed the signs to Windermere. I'm sorry to say that I was so taken by all the green that I took this very stupid and unsafe shot out the window. Very sorry, and it was before I got to all the narrow roads. Still, check out the green!
Got to Windermere and immediately reconsidered my plan to "wing it" with regard to . Still, eventually and quite by accident I found my way to my hotel, named "The Cottage" and famous for its extensive breakfast menu.
You think you're bored with hotel shots? Wait until I get to the sheep - you'll be begging me to show you more interiors.

Advised by the Cottage owner that there was "a nice walk" up the hill behind the cottage, I set off up Orrest Head. Met an elderly couple (the lady had a walking stick) who told me they had just been up and that it was "a nice little walk". They were, as I was soon to find out, LYING LIARS WHO LIE.

Still, in the meantime I busied myself with my camera - this is probably one reason why it took me more than the recommended 20 minutes to get to the top.
At length I had travelled sufficiently uphill to be panting and wheezing and generally cursing the elderly couple for their general fitness. So I stopped at a dry stone wall and peered over:Now, at this point there was a locked fence in front of me......and steps up to the right, which clearly I was to follow......and yet at the same time there was this stile, begging me to climb over it and into the paddock. Well what do you think I did?

Yessiree, thus begins my Great Harrassment of the Sheep (and Farm Animals in General). I don't know why I was so fascinated and camera-happy - I've certainly seen sheep before. I can only suggest that it was the combination of little sheep in such a perfect setting. Observe:


Of course, there was one sticky, Black Sheep-reminiscent moment. Had just knelt down to get a photo of the view when I turned around and...

ACK! They're advancing! Acted casual, took another photo and turned back...ACK AGAIN! Clearly time to leave.




Random shots along the way - provided for by many, many rest stops. Other elderly people met coming down the hill (what the heck is in the water here?) and FINALLY, finally, ladies and gentlemen, I give you, The Top.



My word, it was worth it. Thankfully also it was very nice weather, so I could sit down for aaaages on the grass and just take in the 360 degree views.


After what I judged was enough time to make the walk up worth the rest, I made my way back down. Stopping at the paddock where I had tresspassed before, I met a man on his daily walk. He lived at the base of the hill, and talked to me of how his wife was making him go to France, but he honestly couldn't see the point in leaving Windermere. You could sort of see what he meant.


Anyway, he let me know that it was ok to walk through the paddocks as long as I wasn't bothering the animals too much (...er...) and pointed me towards some badger setts. So off I trod, loose in the field!


Sheep, sheep, cows and sheep.


Doctor Doolittle, anyone?

Here's the badger sett, sadly bereft of badgers (at least ones who are awake):

Took a couple of interesting turns after that (after much deliberation I decided the hole in the wall was for dogs to go through - very thoughtful)...


...including one down what turned out to be a private drive - must get a lot of wanderers thinking everything's so beautiful it must be part of the walk. This, for example, is Someone's House.



Next: I go riding on an enormous Clydesdale horse. Hilarity ensues.

No comments:

Post a Comment